Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Frugal Eats: Crock Pot Minestrone Soup

This series has been so good for me because I'm always on the hunt for frugal recipes now. Monday has become Frugal Recipe Day around here. This is one that I found during my search. It's actually a few different recipes in one. I took the things I liked out of each. Some veggies that were in the other recipes that I chose not to use were cabbage, peas, lima beans, zucchini, kale, chickpeas, white kidney beans, and veggie broth rather than beef broth. So mix and match as you see fit. I'm sure there isn't a veggie that wouldn't be good.

Since this cooks for a really long time I cut up all the veggies before bed. That way I could throw it in the crock pot before I even fed the kids. At a cost of $4.25 I would think it would be a great meal to come home from after work. It's really chunky and hearty.


Minestrone Soup


  • 3 1/2 cups beef broth (33 cents)

  • 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (1.08)

  • 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced (25 cents)

  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (25 cents)

  • 1/2 cup chopped celery (25 cents)

  • 2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced (50 cents)

  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced (8 cents)

  • 16 oz red kidney beans, drained (58 cents)

  • 1/2 box spiral macaroni (or any kind you like) (63 cents)

  • 2 Tbsp. parsley flakes (10 cents)

  • 2 tsp dried basil (10 cents)

  • 1 tsp dried oregano (10 cents)


Combine all ingredients except macaroni in slow cooker. Cover. Cook on low for 10-16 hours, or on high 4-6 hours. Cook macaroni according to directions and add during last 30 mins of cooking.

2 comments:

Over The Top Aprons said...

Yum! This looks like it will be delicious. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yummy yum yum! Your recipes always look so good! And I love crockpot recipes. Thanks for sharing!